48 weeks (1105 hours) instructor-led full-time training With Co-op
320 hours in physiotherapy clinics and rehabilitation centers
Free financial consultation available. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify.
The Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Assistant diploma program primarily will focus on the growth and development of the human body and the different physiotherapy methods & techniques to support clients’ independence, activities, and help in proper physical functioning. In this program, students will get the opportunity to get a good idea on the theory behind the practice of occupational therapy and physiotherapy, and side by side be able to apply the acquired knowledge through clinical experiences and practicum sessions during placements.
Students will complete their practicum sessions for 320 hours in physiotherapy clinics and rehabilitation centers after completing their classroom lecture sessions. During placement, students will be taught to assist clients and families to successfully deal with limitations during the movement for daily functioning, and promote activities (temporary or permanent), according to their physical needs. The clinical placement provides students with a golden prospect to practice their newly learned skills in a professional work setting. While on placement, students gain diverse experiences and become more self-confident, and in some cases, receive offers of employment from the placement site if their performances are well beyond doubt. Student clinical placements are arranged and are planned by the college after completing instructor-led hours.
Applicant must have a Grade 12 level or a university degree or a Science college diploma.
This program provides career opportunities for those who are interested in providing the best possible rehabilitation effects for people suffering from: physical injuries from motor vehicle accidents, sports injuries, spinal cord injuries, stroke, mental health conditions, transplants, cystic fibrosis, and health or wellness promotion, illness from ageing, developmental disability, or emotional disability. Individuals in these cases need help and support to go back to their daily lives and resume regular work-life balance.
Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Assistant can help such needy persons to go back to their daily lives and resume regular work-life balance. If you enjoy challenges and are a creative problem solver, you have good physical, mental and social health and take pleasure in meeting people while wishing to work with those who are physically, developmentally, and/or emotionally challenged, a career as an occupational therapist assistant (OTA) and physiotherapist assistant (PTA) is for you.
As an OTA/PTA, you will have the opportunity to work in a variety of environments such as:
- Acute care and Community Hospitals
- Medical Clinics
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Seniors’ residences
- Children’s treatment centers
As a Physiotherapy Assistant and Occupational Therapy Assistant, the main duties include the followings:
- Assist the supervising Physiotherapist/Occupational therapist in performing various components of the treatment plans for patients in the clinic/ long-term care/hospital setting
- Perform various treatments as prescribed and directed by the supervising Physiotherapist /Occupational Therapists including but not limited to gait training, balance exercises, transfer training, range of motion, strengthening, application of modalities. (i.e. heat, ice, ultrasound, TENS)
- Deliver dynamic, safe and therapeutically beneficial exercise classes for groups of patients
- Set up and prepare equipment and clean up after patients’ treatments
- Comply with safety standards
- Maintenance and cleanliness of treatment area and equipment
- Maintain regular ongoing communication with the Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapists regarding any changes or concerns about a patient’s status or treatment interventions
Book A Complimentary Tour Now
Explore with our experienced staff
whether Pharama Medical can lead you to a rewarding career path.